Safety and Security Tips: Buying with Amazon Payments
Amazon Payments is concerned about the safety and security of our customers. Accordingly, we have put a number of technological protections in place to be sure that our transaction process is extremely safe and that our customers' information is secure.
Additionally, Amazon Payments takes a number of steps to help be sure that our third-party seller platforms are safe and that our sellers are of the highest quality. However, keep in mind that customer protection is a two-way street. When buying or selling on any online venue, caution must always be practiced.
The overwhelming majority of online transactions are completed without incident. While the possibility of being defrauded by a third-party seller is minimal, there are some risks. Amazon Payments has developed the following guidelines to help ensure that your online shopping experience is safe and secure.
Safety and Security Tips
Buyer and Seller Tip: Protect your passwords.
- If using a public computer or terminal, always log out when you complete an online session.
- Keep your passwords private. Remember, anybody who knows your password can access your account.
- When creating a password, use at least 8 characters. A password that combines letters and numbers is best. Do not use dictionary words, your name, e-mail address, or other personal information that can be easily obtained. We also recommend that you change your password frequently. If you need assistance with this, please see the Changing Your Password Help page.
- Avoid using the same password for multiple online accounts.
Buyer and Seller Tip: Be wary of unsolicited e-mail and telephone contacts.
- Amazon Payments will never e-mail or call a customer and ask that they disclose or verify their Amazon Payments password, credit card, or banking account number. Such information should only be submitted when completing an order using Amazon Payments, registering for Amazon Payments, contacting Amazon Payments directly, or when making updates to Your Account or Merchant (Seller Central) Account areas. If you receive a suspicious e-mail with a link to update your account information, do not click on the link--instead go directly to https://payments.amazon.com/ and then log in to your account. You can find out more about How to Identify Phishing or Spoofed E-mails.
- If you are contacted by, or receive an unsolicited e-mail from an unknown entity, and are asked to confirm or provide your password or personal or banking information, simply disregard the request and report the incident to Amazon for investigation.
- Buyers and sellers should always carefully review order and shipment confirmation e-mails to be sure that they are legitimate and have been sent by Amazon Payments. To do this, simply cross-reference confirmation e-mails with the transaction history found within the Your Account (for buyers) or Seller Central (for sellers) account.
- If you receive a suspected spoofed Amazon Payments e-mail, or discover a fake Amazon Payments website, please report the incident to Amazon Payments.
Buyer Tip: Research your seller.
- Buyers should always research a seller's feedback history before a purchase. Feedback is the leading indicator of a seller's overall quality. Look for clues within a seller's feedback that indicate the following: The ability to fulfill and ship orders in a timely fashion, a seller's willingness to resolve transaction disputes, and an indication that the quality of the products shipped matches the description supplied by the seller.
Buyer Tip: Use only Amazon Payments.
- Amazon Payments is safe, secure, and guaranteed, and provides buyers with a convenient method of payment.
- Transactions paid for using any alternative form of payment are not eligible for protection under the Amazon Payments A-to-z Guarantee.
Seller Tip: Ship only to supported addresses.
- Sellers who use Amazon Payments must ship orders must only to addresses supplied by Amazon Payments (contained within the ship confirmation e-mails). Sellers should be especially concerned if contacted by a buyer and asked to ship a completed order to an alternative address. If you as a seller are asked to ship to an alternate address, cancel the order and instruct the buyer to place a new order. Buyers are responsible for providing a current shipping address when placing the order or creating their account.